Book Review: spiritual parenting


As I mentioned earlier, I was given this book by a pastor at our church who just happened to have a few extra copies. Never having read it himself he handed it to me and said "good luck. let me know what you think." well here are my thoughts...

Now, never having read another book on parenting or Christian parenting, in particular, this review may not be the best. but whatever. I honestly really appreciated the book. The author, Michelle Anthony, outlines ten "environments" that she believes should be implemented in the home. She states, "We're creating environments so that we open our homes and our children's lives to the Holy Spirit, so He can do His work in them" (pg. 41).

The ten environments include: storytelling, identity, faith community, service, out of the comfort zone, responsibility, course correction, love and respect, knowing, and modeling.

What I appreciated from this book is the intentionality it set to the act of parenting. I think so often parents just coast through their kids lives making sure they are pretty polite, kind of well-behaved, and make decent decisions. But God calls us to so much more!
I also appreciated how each environment was Biblically based. Each chapter offered so much Truth. In particular, course correction offered Biblical Discipline based on Hebrews 12:11-13. Discipline is not about punishment. God does tell us that yes, it is not pleasant, but in fact painful. But in the end it leads to healing. "The end goal for us as parents is to conduct God's discipline in our children's lives in such a way that they experience healing from their sin" (pg. 155).

The parenting discussed in this book is not of this world. It is truly of the Lord. It is about parents who walk by faith, and thank God for entrusting His treasures to them. It is about seeing what matters most to Him. It is about creating a home that will reflect the truth of the Lord.

In the end, how I how I parent will not be based on a book or some author's opinion. It will be based on the Bible and the calling Manny and I have from the Lord. However, I did appreciate the truths this book pointed out and the useful advice and strategies on how to implement parenting based on the calling of the Holy Spirit. I pray that God will continue to reveal His plan for my life as mom and that one day our home will be evidence of His work in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment