Radical

So like thousands of other Christians I've just finished reading the book Radical by David Platt. I was interested to see how I would feel about the book considering two of my closest friends gave two very opposite reviews. One was challenged, changed, and questioning while the other didn't even finish the book because he thought it just offered up more of the same as far as inspirational Christian literature. But I will have to agree with my dear friend Dani, for I was challenged, changed, and left questioning a lot.

If you don't know what this book is about it is about "Taking back your faith from the American Dream." An interesting concept. One I honestly struggle with daily; how to live a life devoted to God and ministry while surrounded by a money-, power-, and material- possessed society.

In the end, much of my life was confirmed: that Manny and I are doing exactly what God wants us to be doing by working full-time and being full-time committed to Alethia Church, the life we live is radical for Christ every day, Alethia Church is 100% Biblical- exactly what we want to be, God desires for "good" in our lives, etc.
But I was also convicted... To give more: I don't know what this means but I think it might have to do with my new crafty side and some charity {I don't know which one or how}... To be more devoted: Recently I feel like I am more desperate, hungry, and dedicated to the Word of God than ever before, but this must continue, even stronger... To know more: Platt asks the question What is the purpose of Christianity? And to be honest I didn't know... He explains it as "Enjoy His Grace, Extend His Glory." So simple, so poignant, how I want to live my life... Also, To Suffer More: a concept that has been very heavy on my heart in recent months...

Radical explored these claims:
"Real success is found in radical sacrifice. Ultimate satisfaction is found not in making much of ourselves but in making much of God. The purposes of our lives transcends the country and culture in which we live. Meaning is found in community, no individualism; joy is found in generosity, no materialism; and truth is found in Christ, no universalism. Ultimately, Jesus is a reward worth risking everything to know, experience, and enjoy." pg. 183
Such poignant truths of the Bible, many Christians often ignore...

In the end, he offers a "Radical Experiment"
1. pray for the entire world
2. read through the entire Word
3. sacrifice your money fro a specific purpose
4. spend your time in another concept
5. commit your life to a multiplying community

I don't really know how to end this post, except to say that this book truly challenged me and I highly recommend it if you are into knowing Christ more, being more like Christ, enjoying His grace, extending His glory, and living radically for Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment