a good word:

last weekend I had the privilege of visiting Kaci, to celebrate her 30th birthday & enjoy time with her family. i can think of nothing but utter thankfulness for the time. on Sunday we went to their church and their pastor was speaking on "Relationships: Ruin & Redemption: A Sermon About Mommy Guilt," specifically Ephesians 6:4,
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, 
but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

He gave such a good word that I feel like I must write it down! 
The is a distinct difference between Guilt, Conviction, and Condemnation. 

Guilt is from PEOPLE
This is SOMEONE making you feel like you don't add up to their expectations. 

Conviction is from the HOLY SPIRIT. 
The Holy Spirit living inside us, becomes uncomfortable with our action(s) of sin. The Holy Spirit lovingly and gently points a finger at an ACTION and says that was not lovely, pure, of me, etc. 

Condemnation is from SATAN. 
Satan says YOU are failure, I hate YOU, YOU have ruined everything. Your action is not condemned, YOU are condemned.

And what I'm dealing with everyday is not "mommy guilt," it's mommy CONDEMNATION and it is of the Enemy. The lie I am believing that my children's well-being, in this life and the next, is based completely on my performance as a mother. 
It is a lie that must be combated with the Truth of the Word of God and the love of the Gospel! 
The Word says, "For there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
The Truth says, Jesus Christ is my child's Savior, not me! 
The Gospel says, I do not have to be a perfect parent. I need to a broken parent that ushers myself & my children to the throne of the King. They need a sinner parent who knows that they deeply need Christ. We have a Savior who never slumbers or sleeps and who loves my kids way more than I love my kids. As I fail, He is more than sufficient. 
The Truth is: 
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9


if you want to listen (and I highly suggest you do if this is something you struggle with) here is the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment